Belk Gym will take a "time out" for renovation starting this May, reopening in 2015 with air conditioning for the gyms and workout facilities, upgrades including a new fitness center, and more classroom amenities.
The Student Activity Center will remain open for campus fitness users. Students can access the SAC facilities for free with their UNC Charlotte student I.D. Membership packages are available for faculty, staff and retirees. Visit the Student Activity Center website for more information.
Built in 1970, Belk Gym serves a variety of campus recreational and academic needs. The facility houses a four-court gymnasium for basketball, badminton and volleyball as well as racquetball courts, a spinning room and a weight room. The indoor swimming pool features six 25-yard lap swim lanes with a shallow area for water aerobics and kayak roll training.
The renovation will bring an additional 8,000 square feet of dedicated fitness space, air conditioning for the gymnasium courts, improved accessibility to the swimming pool, and other interior and exterior enhancements.
Academic functions will also see improvements. Expanded classroom space and better equipped classrooms and laboratories will support students pursuing degrees in Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Respiratory Therapy, and Outdoor Adventure Leadership.
Currently Belk Gym serves as the administrative headquarters for the Department of Kinesiology and Recreational Services. During the renovation, Kinesiology will temporarily relocate to the College of Health and Human Services while Recreational Services moves into Cone University Center.
The Belk Gym renovation project includes the following:
- Modernized HVAC systems including gymnasiums
- Over 8,000 square feet of dedicated recreation space
- Redesigned exterior main entrance façade and plaza
- Redesigned lobby and visitor amenities
- Refinished basketball courts
- Increased lighting and way-finding amenities
- New stairs for improved circulation and security
- High seating capacity auditorium-style lecture hall
- Additional and properly equipped classroom and lab space
- Day lockers and single shower stalls
- Improved accessibility from locker rooms to swimming pool
- Mechanical, structural and landscape improvements
For information about the renovation, visit Capital Projects online.
Watch the slideshow for pictures of Belk Gym as it is prepared for the renovation.
Volleyball photo by Wade Bruton, 1991.