The close of the academic year is a time for celebration and reflection. Commencement takes center stage during this time of year, signifying a new beginning for recent graduates. But this is also a time when some of the University’s 1,000 faculty elect to retire.
As these individuals begin new adventures of their own, we wish them well - and we want to give you an opportunity to do so, too. The list below includes 15 retirees who have a combined 422 years of service on the UNC Charlotte campus, for an average of more than 28 years each. Their service ranges from 14 years to 42 years.
These faculty members have witnessed amazing change on the UNC Charlotte campus, and they have worked diligently to ensure the University’s growth. Their research has contributed to UNC Charlotte’s ascendance as the state’s urban research university, and they have taught and touched the lives of thousands of students.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list of faculty retirees (some have not yet declared their intent to retire).
- Dr. Gwendolyn Foss, associate professor in the School of Nursing and Associate Director of Graduate Programs, joined UNC Charlotte in 1998.
- Dr. Theresa Perez, professor of English as a Second Language, joined UNC Charlotte in 1998.
- Dr. Paul Foos, professor of psychology and adjunct professor of gerontology, joined the University in 1991.
- Dr. Susan Gardner, associate professor of English and adjunct faculty member in the women’s and gender studies program and the American studies program, joined UNC Charlotte in 1980.
- Dr. Deb Bosley, associate professor of English and director of the Center for Humanities, Technology, joined the University in 1989.
- Dr. Meg Morgan, associate professor of English, joined UNC Charlotte in 1987.
- Dr. Corey Lock, professor of educational leadership, joined the University in 1987.
- Dr. Hal Jaus, professor of elementary education, joined UNC Charlotte in 1986.
- Dr. Johnny Graham, professor of civil engineering, joined the University in 1984.
- Dr. Kent Curran, professor of management in the Belk College of Business and formerly senior associate dean of the Graduate School, joined the University in 1984.
- Dr. Nancy Pfingstag, lecturer in the Office of International Programs English Language Training Institute, joined UNC Charlotte in 1981.
- Dr. Bill Gay, professor of philosophy, joined the University in 1980.
- Dr. Ron Madsen, professor of economics, joined UNC Charlotte in 1977.
- Dr. Sallie Ives, associate professor of geography and adjunct associate professor of women’s and gender studies, joined the University in 1977.
- Dr. Pamela Sofras, professor of dance and founding chair of the Department of Dance, joined UNC Charlotte in 1976.
- Amanda Harmon, J. Murrey Atkins Library head of collection development and associate professor, joined the University in 1970.
Photo by Wade Bruton.