One year after its grand-opening celebration, the Student Union continues to add new services and amenities that enhance student life at UNC Charlotte. Already a hub of activity that houses offices for student activities and governance, along with dining options and a movie theatre and other retail shops, the Student Union will add copy and mailing services and ATMs this fall, and plans are under way for banking services.
To celebrate, the University will hold a special dedication ceremony on Friday, Sept. 24. This one-year anniversary event will feature live music, giveaways and cake as part of a day of activities planned for the Student Union’s party. All events are free and open to the public.
“We want to take a moment to reflect on the significance of where we are today compared to one year ago,” said Jerry Mann, executive director of the Student Union and Cone University Center. “The Student Union would not be here without the support of both the student body and the university, and this anniversary event is a way for us to celebrate our success together.”
– Jerry Mann, Executive Director of the Student Union and Cone University Center
Highlights of the Union’s first year include:
- August 2009 – Grand Opening Celebration Week
- August 2009 – Levine Scholarship Media Announcement
- October 2009 – Movie Theater Grand Opening
- December 2010 – “Flash Mob” celebration by 1,600 students releasing exam stress for Reading Day
- January 2010 – The Campus Salon opens
- March 2010 – NinerTech Computer Store opens permanent location
- May 2010 – “Late Night Breakfast” served to 1,121 students prior to exams
- June 2010 – “The Fat Boy Chronicles” Movie Premiere
- Summer 2010 – SOAR welcomes more than 6,000 incoming students, transfers and family members during a 10-week period
As the headquarters for student activities, the 196,000-square-foot Student Union provides resources to approximately 300 student organizations as well as Center for Leadership Development, the Multicultural Resource Center, Niners on the Weekend and student media. It also includes dining options, the campus bookstore, a 210-seat movie theater, art gallery, hair salon, a convenience store, lounges and meeting rooms, art gallery, outdoor seating areas and ample space for gathering, study and relaxation.
Click here for more information about the Student Union and the anniversary celebration.