In what has become a tradition, the UNC Charlotte Alumni Association presents awards to recognize alumni who embody the core principles of the University and have distinguished themselves through their outstanding service to UNC Charlotte, their chosen field and humanity.
The 2012 awards were presented on Nov. 3, 2012, at the Alumni Awards Banquet.
"These 11 outstanding alumni have been instrumental in propelling UNC Charlotte to become the powerhouse that it is today," said Niles Sorensen, vice chancellor for University Advancement.
The honorees are recognized within five different distinctions:
Distinguished Alumni Award – The highest honor bestowed by the Alumni Association, this prestigious award recognizes an individual chosen from the previous inductees selected to the Hall of Fame based on the nominee’s career accomplishments and / or service to his or her community, state, nation, or to UNC Charlotte and its Alumni Association.
- Greg Davis ’76, pastor of Bellafonte Presbyterian Church, and retired faculty member.
- Misty Hathcock ’85 ’91 ’92 ’96 ’04, UNC Charlotte Alumni Association president and faculty member.
Alumnus by Choice – Honoring a non-graduate of UNC Charlotte who has gone out of his or her way to support the University and the Alumni Association Board of Directors. General nominations are not solicited for this award; rather the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association can make recommendations for this award on an as needed basis.
- James H. Woodward, UNC Charlotte chancellor emeritus
Alumni Hall of Fame – A highly-selective award, only 75 of the nearly 100,000 alumni have been named to this prestigious honor. The award is based on the nominee’s career accomplishments and / or service to his or her community, state, nation, or to UNC Charlotte and its Alumni.
- Dennis N. Bunker III ’81, founder of Bunker Land Group, LLC
- John P. Derham Cato ’73, CEO of Cato Corporation
- Bill Crowder ’75, chief operating officer and executive vice president of Crowder Construction
- The late Esther Rose Erwin ’61, ’68, ’72, ’83, educator
- Ann Mabe Newman ’78, retired faculty member, educator and researcher
- Curt Walton ‘82, city manager of Charlotte
Faculty Service Award – This award recognizes a current UNC Charlotte faculty member for distinguished service to the community while bringing recognition to the University. Consideration for the award is based on the amount of time and effort spent enhancing the University, level of civic involvement above-and-beyond the faculty member’s University responsibility and evidence that the nominee is considered an "expert" by the community in his or her discipline.
- Mary Lynne Calhoun, dean of the College of Education
Outstanding Young Alumnus Award – Given to alumni who have graduated within the last 10 years, this award honors those who have shown exceptional service to the UNC Charlotte community and the Alumni Association; career accomplishments as well as community and state involvement are considered.
- Ashley Clark ’05, ’06, architect and marketing manager with the FWA Group Architects in Charlotte
Videos that highlight each recipient's accomplishments are available on the University's YouTube channel.